Ah, bread pudding. A dessert that actually is BETTER gluten-free! GF bread seems to really absorb the wet ingredients nicely, and it's such an easy and quick treat. It's also great because unless you consistently eat 2-3 slices of bread each day, chances are you are going to find yourself with stale bread pretty quickly. Also, you likely have all of these ingredients in the house. This is all the photo evidence I have of the latest iteration - and the twist of adding cream and walnuts is what made this version a keeper. It was gone in a matter of hours!
GLUTEN-FREE CINNAMON RAISIN WALNUT BREAD PUDDING
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
8 slices GF cinnamon raisin bread (I love Trader Joe's brand, but Canyon Mountain, Rudi's, and Udi's all make decent ones, too)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 T. water
1 T. vanilla (Neilsen-Massey really is worth the extra money - Marshalls sells it sometimes)
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix together dark brown sugar and water. Microwave for 60 seconds or until it begins to melt a bit.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all wet ingredients, making sure eggs are thoroughly blended.
4. Tear slices of bread into approximately 1" squares. Place in a separate bowl.
5. Add walnut pieces to bread bowl.
5. Pour all wet ingredients over bread pieces. Stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes so the bread can sop up all the moisture. Stir once or twice during this time to mix the pieces around some more.
6. Pour into pan.
7. Bake for 35 minutes on center rack. Depending on your oven, it may be done at 30 minutes.
This tastes amazing warm, but is also fine at room temperature with some whipped cream.