Quick! The chicken didn't defrost and you need dinner, stat. Ready, set, lentil.
Trader Joe's brown rice and yellow lentil spaghetti is cheap, versatile, and kid-friendly. It also has high protein (14g a serving!!). Red lentil penne is a great substitute as well, but this particular recipe works best with spaghetti.
1/3 package Trader Joe's brown rice and yellow lentil spaghetti
4 oz mozzarella - I use the BelGioioso mozzarella balls (in bulk at Costco hashtagcheesebonanza) and cut them in half
1 c. cherry, plum, or grape tomatoes, chopped
2 handfuls fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 T. olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar (Wegmans has a delicious organic balsamic vinegar)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil water and make pasta to al dente (check this - package says 6-7 minutes but you may need 7.5 minutes). Drain and rinse with cold water. Divide pasta into two servings.
2. Lightly drizzle pasta with olive oil once in bowls.
3. Top each bowl with mozzarella pieces, tomatoes, and basil.
4. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
5. Top with fresh-ground salt and pepper (Himalayan pink salt is amazing!).
6. Eat up and adjust meal plan :-).